Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowships 2018
- Our original podcasts
- Australian Audio Guide
- The Next Chapter
- So You Think You Can Pod
- Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowships 2018
- Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowships 2017
- Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowships 2016
- Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowships 2015
- Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowships 2014
- Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowships 2013
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2019
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2018
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2017
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2016
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2015
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2014
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2012
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2011
- Missives from the Future
- The Long View
- The MGallery Literary Collection
- Faith and Culture: The Politics of Belief
- Weather Stations
- Criticism Now
- Texts in the City goes digital
- Zoo Fellowships 2012
- Deakin Lectures 2010
- City of Literature calendar
The Wheeler Centre’s Hot Desk Fellowships are back for 2018 – once again made possible by the generous support of the Readings Foundation. Twenty writers will be offered fellowships throughout the year. For the second year, an additional Playwright Hot Desk Fellowship will be offered to an emerging female playwright supported by the generosity of the Just Pretending theatre group.
The fellowships, which include a $1000 stipend and workspace in the Wheeler Centre over a ten-week period, have been created simply to give emerging writers the space to write and create. Hot Desk fellows will also have the opportunity to meet, network and work with the Wheeler Centre’s resident organisations.
In addition, Hot Desk Fellowships introduce emerging writers and their work to the public – we will feature all our writers and their projects on our website, as well as in a special Hot Desk Edition of The Next Big Thing series. In 2017, several of our Hot Desk fellows were approached by publishers and agents interested in their work, with many alumni having been published since their involvement in the program.
Join a community of creativity, as well as having the productive space of a desk of your own.
Applications for 2018 Hot Desk Fellowships have now closed. Successful applicants will be announced on Monday 16 April 2018 via the Wheeler Centre website.
Hot Desk Fellowships apply to the intake periods below:
- Monday 30 April 2018 – Friday 6 July 2018
- Monday 9 July 2018 – Friday 14 September 2018
- Monday 17 September 2018 – Friday 23 November 2018
- Successful applicants will receive a dedicated hot desk at the Wheeler Centre for a specified period and a stipend of $1000.
- In addition to the 20 Fellowships supported by the Readings Foundation, the Just Pretending Playwright Fellowship will be offered to an emerging female playwright.
- Each fellowship lasts for a period of ten weeks. Writers are encouraged to use their hot desk space as frequently as possible during this period but are not required to be in the space full-time. Fellows will be required to attend a compulsory induction at the start of the fellowship, and will be expected to use their hot desk at least one day per week.
- Fellowships will be offered on the strength and merit of each application. However, we aim to award fellowships to a diverse group of writers.
- Fellowships are offered to writers in order to produce a specific piece of work, either in full or in part, during their time at the Wheeler Centre.
- The Wheeler Centre reserves the right to publish all or part of the project descriptions of successful fellows on our website or in other Wheeler Centre publications. On request, successful applicants agree to provide a photograph for publicity purposes and to the Wheeler Centre publishing approximately 500 words from their work-in-progress on its website.
- Successful fellows agree to enter into discussion regarding publishing completed projects on the Wheeler Centre’s website, although the copyright will remain with the fellowship recipient.
- Payment of the $1000 stipend will be made in two parts – one payment of $500 to be made at the commencement of the fellowship, and one upon its completion and with the recipient’s submission of their work in progress, which will appear on the Wheeler Centre website.
- The Wheeler Centre will endeavour to offer a fellowship to an applicant during the intake period they have requested, but cannot guarantee this.
- Applicants who have previously received a Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowship are ineligible in 2018.
- Wheeler Centre staff, Wheeler Centre Resident Organisation staff, and Readings Head Office staff are ineligible for consideration for a 2018 Hot Desk Fellowship, but are eligible to participate in the professional and creative development opportunities that will run as part of the 2018 Fellowship programme.
- The sample of writing must be supplied in PDF form, should provide an example of your proposed project, and must use the following naming convention: surname_initial_title.pdf
- Applications close at 5.00 pm on Friday 9 March 2018 and late applications will not be considered for selection.
- The selection panel’s decision is final.