Are you ready to rhyme? Or is free verse your jam? Whatever your style, it's time to slam.
See what we did there? Yeah. We're presenting – definitely not competing in – this year’s OutLoud poetry slam final.
The annual competition sees secondary school students devising and performing original works of poetry and spoken word. There are three categories: Years 7–8, Year 9 and Years 10–12, with students able to enter as individuals or in teams of up to three.
This year, the final will take place as an online event, hosted by the amazing Emilie Zoey Baker.
With so many kids stuck at home for much of the 2020 school year, the OutLoud Secondary Digital Slam is a chance to hear and share creative student voices. Tune in for an electrifying showcase of Victoria's best young wordsmiths.
OutLoud Secondary Digital Slam! Finalist List
- Catholic Regional College Keilor North (Lucy Mathison, Noah Balzan, Kian Rantino, and Alexander D’Agostino) – Disney Movies
- Catholic Regional College Keilor North (Alexander Jablonsky and Jennifer Williams) – Forget Themselves
- Haileybury (Tana Alispahic, Bhuvi Diwakar, Nuha Sameer and Jessie Sun) – It’s All In Your Head
- Haileybury (Eleanor Iseli, Frankie Varghese, Faith Mapalo Kauseni and Imogen Yong) – No Longer
- Melbourne High (Aaditya Sachdeva) – Eyes of Disdain
- Melbourne High (Ravine Witanachchi) – Mocha of Madness
- John Monash Science School (Bennett Christy Moses, Paramjot Kaur, Rhythem Patel and Roya Qayum) – Women’s Empowerment
- John Monash Science School (Muntaka Naoar) – Delicious
- William Ruthven Secondary College (Khalid Muse) – Empower
- University High School (Theodoros Athanasopoulos, Shashwata Majumder and Orion Nheu) – Perspective
- University High School (Joseph Edward-Smith)
- Lowther Hall Anglican Grammar School (Ella Capewell, Yanan Chai and Lily Rose Dean) – The Alphabet of Procrastination
Presented in partnership with Australian Poetry with support from the Cultural Fund.
Emilie Zoey Baker is an award-winning poet, teacher and spoken-word performer who has toured internationally. She was a fellow at the State Library of Victoria, coordinator of the Australian National Slam, and was core faculty for the spoken word program at Canada's Banff Centre.
This is a free event. Bookings are not required. Sign up for an email reminder here.