'Sometimes, there can be a slightly condescending assumption that anything unlikable about a female character is a mistake, as if they’re a contestant in a beauty pageant and have to seem charming and upbeat all the time.'
Curtis Sittenfeld is the bestselling author of five novels – the cult-classic Prep, The Man of My Dreams, American Wife, Sisterland and Eligible – and one story collection, You Think It, I’ll Say It.
Her books have been selected by the New York Times, Time, Entertainment Weekly and People for their ‘Ten Best Books of the Year’ lists, optioned for television and film, and translated into 30 languages. Her short stories have appeared in the New Yorker, the Washington Post, and Esquire, and her non-fiction has appeared in the New York Times, Time, Vanity Fair, the Atlantic, Slate, and on This American Life.
- Jane Mayer's journalism, including her books Dark Money (Doubleday) and Strange Justice (Graymalkin Media)
- Alice Munro's short stories, especially Open Secrets (Penguin Random House)
- A Lucky Man by Jamel Brinkley (Serpent's Tail)
- Good Talk by Mira Jacob (One World)
- Make Your Home Among Strangers (fiction; Picador) and My Time Among the Whites (essays; Picador) by Jennine Capó Crucet