Regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19)
Regarding the coronavirus
Like many of you, we’re closely monitoring the unfolding coronavirus situation. While Victorian government restrictions are in place, we aren’t holding physical events, and our building is currently closed to the public. If you have booked tickets for upcoming events, you will be contacted in the coming days about your reservation.
We are strictly following the Victorian government's COVIDSafe guidelines to keep our staff, speakers and audiences safe and help reduce the risk of transmission. Please note these conditions may change based on advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer.
In addition to the return of live events, throughout the year, we'll continue to bring you live-streamed programmes from all over Australia and around the world along with the very best of digital publishing.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Thursday 5 August, 2021
This afternoon, we were informed that a member of the public who attended yesterday evening's Poetry Month Gala event at the Wheeler Centre has visited a recently announced Tier 2 exposure site. They are currently awaiting Covid test results, following health advice. Out of an abundance of caution we have notified all people who attended or booked for this event.
The recommendation from the Department of Health is to monitor for symptoms, if symptoms develop immediately get tested and isolate – the Wheeler Centre is currently not listed as an exposure site. We will continue to keep you informed regarding the outcome of the pending test result and with any advice that may change, any updates will be made available on this page.
When we return to holding live events at the Wheeler Centre, here are some measures we have in place – things that you can do – to keep our staff and audience safe.
- Book your tickets online. You must have a pre-booked ticket to attend any of the Centre's live events.
- When you arrive at the Wheeler Centre you may be required to queue 1.5m apart down the access ramp and along Little Lonsdale Street. Please adhere to capacity limits for the foyer and performance space. Wheeler Centre ushers will be there to safely assist with any questions or any access needs.
- On arrival in the foyer, you are required to scan the QR code for contact tracing purposes. It helps to download the Service Victoria app for quicker check-in.
- Masks are mandatory inside at all times and when you can't maintain 1.5m distance from others (unless you have an exemption).
- The performance space is set up with chairs spaced for social distancing. Please do not move the chairs. If you have access needs or special requirements please let us know when booking so we can best assist you.
Other measures include enhanced cleaning in the Wheeler Centre spaces used by the public and hand sanitiser on offer.
Please stay home if you have a fever; have been to an exposure site or hotspot; or if you have mild symptoms (including sore throat or dry cough) and get tested. Also, please do not attend any Wheeler Centre event if you have been instructed to be in isolation.
If you are feeling unwell, please contact reception during office hours on firstname.lastname@example.org or (03) 9094 7800 to allow others to attend in your place.
Help us practice physical distancing. Please maintain a 1.5m distance from others. Where possible, please arrive with your full group in order to be seated together.
We will have hand sanitiser readily available at Wheeler Centre events and have more frequent touchpoint cleaning of bathrooms and surfaces during and after events.
What if there is a case?
The Department of Health will make contact with us if a confirmed active case has visited a Wheeler Centre event. We will then provide the Department of Health with contact details for staff and audiences who were at the venue and you will be contacted by officials.