Applications for 2023 Hot Desk Fellowships will be open from Wednesday 25 January and close at 5pm AEDT on Monday 27 February 2023.
Successful applicants will be announced at the end of April via the Wheeler Centre website.
How to apply
We are currently taking applications for Hot Desk Fellowships for the intake periods below:
- Monday 1 May 2023 – Friday 7 July 2023
- Monday 10 July 2023 – Friday 15 September 2023
- Monday 18 September 2023 – Friday 24 November 2023
To apply you must complete the online application form, which includes a 500-word sample of writing, by 5pm AEDT Monday 27 February 2023.
Guidelines for applicants
1. Successful applicants will receive a dedicated hot desk at the Wheeler Centre for a specified period and a stipend of $1250.
2. In addition to the 20 Fellowships supported by the Readings Foundation, the Just Pretending Playwright Fellowship will be offered to a woman (cis or trans), or a non-binary person, who is an emerging playwright.
3. Each Hot Desk fellowship lasts for a period of ten weeks. Writers are encouraged to use their hot desk space as frequently as possible during this period but are not required to be in the space full-time. Fellows will be required to attend a compulsory induction at the start of the fellowship.
4. Fellowships will be offered on the strength and merit of each application. However, we aim to award fellowships to a diverse group of writers.
5. Fellowships are offered to writers in order to produce a specific piece of work, either in full or in part, during their time at the Wheeler Centre.
6. The Wheeler Centre reserves the right to publish all or part of the fellows’ project descriptions, or excerpts of the final project, on our website or in other Wheeler Centre publications. On request, successful applicants agree to provide a photograph for publicity purposes and to the Wheeler Centre publishing approximately 500 words from their work-in-progress on its website. Copyright will remain with the fellowship recipient.
7. Payment of the stipend will be made in two parts – one payment to be made at the commencement of the fellowship, and one upon its completion.
8. The Wheeler Centre will endeavour to offer fellowships to each successful applicant during their preferred intake period, but cannot guarantee this.
9. Applicants who have previously received a Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowship are ineligible in 2023.
10. Full-time or part-time Wheeler Centre staff, Wheeler Centre Resident Organisation staff, and Readings Head Office staff are ineligible for consideration for a 2023 Hot Desk Fellowship.
11. The sample of writing must be supplied in PDF form, should provide an example of your proposed project, and must use the following naming convention: surname_initial_title.pdf
12. Applications close at 5pm on Monday 27 February 2023 and late applications will not be considered for selection.
13. The selection panel’s decision is final.